Man gets five years jail for abetting minor son`s suicide
Mumbai: In a rare verdict, a man has been sentenced to five years imprisonment by a local court for abetting the suicide of his 11-year-old son whom he frequently battered to discipline as he skipped school.
Sessions Judge NG Gimekar convicted 40-year-old Diwan Singh, a gas cylinder supplier, under section 305 (abetment of suicide of a child or insane person) IPC.
The court, while delivering its judgement last Friday, noted that there was evidence to suggest that the boy had ended his life as he was suffering from severe depression because of frequent beatings by his father.
The boy, a fourth standard student at Oriental School at suburban Oshiwara, used to live with his father in a one-room tenement at Adarsh Nagar.
Singh`s estranged wife and minor daughter lived in Uttarakand after separation in 2007.
According to prosecution, on July 13 last year, when Singh returned home he saw his son lying unconscious in the bathroom. He then rushed the child to a government hospital where he was declared dead. The post mortem report indicated that the boy had consumed phenyl.
20 bruise marks were seen on the boy`s body and there were also signs of hemorrhaging.
Singh had admitted before the police that he used to beat his son to discipline him as he used to bunk school and run away from home. On certain occasions, Singh said, he had filed missing complaints with the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM