Man gets life imprisonment in 2011 murder case
Thane: A 29-year-old man has been sentenced to life imprisonment by a court here for killing his friend in 2011 after a dispute over money to purchase liquor.
Thane Additional Sessions Judge M C Khadke pronounced the verdict yesterday after observing that the prosecution had proved beyond reasonable doubt that accused Raja Reddy Rathod had committed the gruesome crime and deserved the punishment.
APP Hemlata Deshmukh, who appeared along with advocate Akshata Kulkarni-Jere for the prosecution, told the court that the accused Raju alias Raja Reddy Rathod and the victim Vishal Patil (27) were friends.
The duo used to consume alcohol together and the victim had become an addict. He used to frequently ask for money from Raju which became a cause of rift between the two, the prosecution told the court.
On June 26, 2011, there a quarrel between the two over the money issue and a non-cognisable offence was lodged with the police by the accused.
Later on June 30, Vishal picked up a fight over the issue and allegedly bashed up Raja who in a fit of rage attacked him on his head with an axe, resulting in his death on the spot, the prosecution told the court.
The court was also told that the accused thereafter went straight to the police station and narrated the entire incident and confessed to the crime following which he was arrested.
The incident itself took place near Saibanagar and Manisha Nagar here behind the local crematorium.
The judge after hearing both the prosecution and the defence counsel Ramrao Jagtap held that it was the accused who was responsible for the crime and sentenced him to life.
Raju was charged under section 302 of the IPC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'