Man held for driving minor girl to suicide
Mumbai: After being persistently harassed by her neighbour, a 15-year-old girl ended her life in neighbouring Thane district, police said Friday.
The accused has been arrested by the police on the charge of abetment of suicide.
Praveen Gorkhane (22) was arrested yesterday for allegedly eve-teasing the girl for nearly a month, following which she committed suicide by hanging herself at her home in Potkal village under Vikramgarh taluka in Thane district, police said.
On Wednesday, the accused allegedly molested her by pulling her hand and also passed some comments, police said.
"When we were going to school after lunch, there were these boys who started harassing us, one of the boys, Praveen, held the victim and would not let her go, he asked me to leave," an eye witness said.
Disturbed by this, the girl rushed home crying and locked herself in a room where she hanged herself even as her family members kept knocking at the door asking her to open it.
The family members had to broke open the door of the room where she was found hanging, they added.
"When my sister was on her way to school, Gorkhane started harassing her and forced himself on her, my sister got scared and returned home instead of going to school. The incident left her scared and she committed suicide out of depression," Prabhakar Gadag, victim`s brother said.
Further investigation was on.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference