Man held for raping 61-year-old woman in Mumbai
Mumbai: A courier staff was on Sunday arrested for allegedly raping a 61-year-old woman at her flat at Powai in suburban Mumbai, police said.
Ashok Kumar (42) had gone to the victim`s apartment at around 12:30 pm yesterday and allegedly raped her before fleeing, they said.
The accused was known to the woman and used to frequent her residence at Military Road, police said.
"Though earlier we suspected that Kumar visited the victim`s place with an intention to commit robbery, but now it is clear that robbery was not the motive," said a senior police officer.
According to police, the victim called her neighbours for help after the crime and was later taken to Bombay Hospital, where she is currently undergoing treatment.
The watchmen of the building in their statements too said that they had seen the accused visiting the victim on at least two occasions.
Based on the description given by the woman, Kumar was arrested from Tata Power Line area in suburban Borivili on Sunday morning.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Anurag Kashyap will strike back with 'Raman Raghav 2.0' : Nawazuddin Siddiqui
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: Sonia Gandhi stashed bribe money in Geneva's Sarasin Bank?
- World record: 23-year-old Tobago batsman Iraq Thomas slams T20 century off 21 balls
- Donald Trump hints at taking India's help in dealing with `unstable` Pakistan
- Champions League: Cristiano Ronaldo remains doubtful for 2nd leg against Manchester City