Man held for torturing his second wife who committed suicide in Maha
Thane: A 39-year-old man has been arrested for allegedly torturing his second wife until she finally ended her life on Saturday, the police said on Monday.
The police have named the accused as Hari Chandu Chatpat, Devi Chandu Chatpat, Geeta and Prashant Naik.
While Hari has been arrested, the others are yet to be arrested the police said, adding that they have been charged under Sections 306, 304(b), 498(a), 504 and 506 read with Section 34 of the Indian Penal Code.
Assistant police inspector Bhimrao N Jankar of the Srinagar police station under the Wagle Estate Division told this correspondent today that Hari Chandu Chatpat who was already married and had two children, got married a second time to the deceased victim, Neha Hari Chatpat (37).
He and his family members allegedly hid the fact that he was already married and took advantage of the hapless lady.
They allegedly tortured the victim frequently, due to which she hung herself to death in the house, the police said.
One of the accused who has been booked in the case allegedly threatened the victim and told her that she should commit suicide if she did not wish to live with them.
Allegedly, her husband categorically told her that he had married her just for the sake of taking care of his two kids and nothing else, and that if she did not like it, she should simply commit suicide, the complaint said.
A further probe into the matter is on, the police said.
- Real Estate Act, designed to protect consumer interest, comes into force from today
- What an idea! Here's why NCP workers in Maharashtra danced in 'Nagin' style - Watch video
- John Kerry to travel to Geneva on Sunday in show of support for Syria ceasefire: US
- Istanbul braces for police lockdown on May Day
- Jat leaders to hold ‘jail bharo’ movement in Haryana today, section 144 imposed in Jind