Man steals bus to lure estranged wife, kids back!
Yavatmal: In a bizarre incident, a former employee of the state transport department stole a bus to convince his estranged wife and children that he was no longer jobless, an official said.
Devendra M. Nimgaokar, 35, driver with the Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC), was sacked in 2007 for prolonged absenteeism from duty and alcoholism, said Shivaji Targude, an official of Wadgaon police station in Yavatmal, eastern Maharashtra.
"Nimgaokar`s mother and sister had passed away a few years ago and he was suffering from depression. The Wani ST (state transport) Depot, where he was employed used to deploy him on long distance routes. He was reluctant to go on these and often bunked duties," Targude told agencies on Saturday.
As a consequence, Nimgaokar was sacked from the MSRTC, following which his wife and two children left him to live with his in-laws in Ichhora village, near Ladkhed in this southern Vidarbha district.
On May 21, a bus (No. MH-40-8629) of the Wani depot made a regular night halt at the Yavatmal bus depot.
Sensing an opportunity, Nimgaokar allegedly got into it and sped off to his wife`s village in order to convince her that he had been re-instated in service. It is not known if the bus had auto-ignition system or the ignition keys were left behind by the driver.
There was panic on Tuesday morning (May 22), when the vacant ST bus was discovered missing from the Yavatmal bus depot.
Top MSRTC and police swung into action and messages were relayed across the district in an effort to trace the missing bus.
It was finally found abandoned near Icchora village by the investigating team comprising of Sarjerao Gaekwad, Deepak Wanole and Iqbal Sheikh.
Two days later, the police also managed to trace Nimgaokar, who was hiding in Icchora village.
He was arrested and was presented before a local court on Friday, which granted him bail till June 6, Targude said.
The incident has sent alarm bells ringing through the MSRTC network, which witnessed a similar episode in Pune on January 25 this year.
A mentally disturbed driver, Santosh Mane, had hijacked a state transport bus and mowed down nine people and injured four more before he was caught.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams