Man suspected to be thief beaten to death in Thane
Thane: A 45-year-old man from Nallasopara in western part of Thane district was allegedly beaten to death by a mob who suspected him to be a thief, district rural police said today.
As per a complaint filed by a woman, she saw about ten locals chasing the man yesterday morning in Nallasopara area, Waliv police station inspector Narayan Patil said.
The mob, armed with iron rods and sticks, allegedly beat up the man severely following which he died on the spot, Patil said.
The body of the deceased, identified as Mohamad Yunus Ansari, a resident of Dhaniv Bhaugh in Nallasopara, was later sent for postmortem to a local government hospital.
Police have identified some of those who beat up the man and have registered offences against them under IPC sections 302 (murder), 143 (unlawful assembly), 147 (rioting), 148 and 149.
A manhunt has been launched to nab the accused, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31