Man suspected to be thief beaten to death in Thane
Thane: A 45-year-old man from Nallasopara in western part of Thane district was allegedly beaten to death by a mob who suspected him to be a thief, district rural police said today.
As per a complaint filed by a woman, she saw about ten locals chasing the man yesterday morning in Nallasopara area, Waliv police station inspector Narayan Patil said.
The mob, armed with iron rods and sticks, allegedly beat up the man severely following which he died on the spot, Patil said.
The body of the deceased, identified as Mohamad Yunus Ansari, a resident of Dhaniv Bhaugh in Nallasopara, was later sent for postmortem to a local government hospital.
Police have identified some of those who beat up the man and have registered offences against them under IPC sections 302 (murder), 143 (unlawful assembly), 147 (rioting), 148 and 149.
A manhunt has been launched to nab the accused, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach