Man suspected to be thief beaten to death in Thane
Thane: A 45-year-old man from Nallasopara in western part of Thane district was allegedly beaten to death by a mob who suspected him to be a thief, district rural police said today.
As per a complaint filed by a woman, she saw about ten locals chasing the man yesterday morning in Nallasopara area, Waliv police station inspector Narayan Patil said.
The mob, armed with iron rods and sticks, allegedly beat up the man severely following which he died on the spot, Patil said.
The body of the deceased, identified as Mohamad Yunus Ansari, a resident of Dhaniv Bhaugh in Nallasopara, was later sent for postmortem to a local government hospital.
Police have identified some of those who beat up the man and have registered offences against them under IPC sections 302 (murder), 143 (unlawful assembly), 147 (rioting), 148 and 149.
A manhunt has been launched to nab the accused, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Istanbul Ataturk Airport blasts: Eyewitness shares terrifying details of the attack - Watch
- Allahabad High Court denies alimony to divorced working woman
- Musharraf, Kayani have Swiss Bank accounts, says London-based investigative journalist
- Kejriwal calls on Goa Archbishop
- Scarlett Johansson named highest grossing actress ever