Managing municipal school kids big task: MCGM tells HC
Mumbai: Managing students in municipal
schools is a big task as the children come from slum areas, do
not have a good family background and have bad habits, the
Municipal Council of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) has said in an
affidavit before the Bombay High Court.
The MCGM affidavit was filed before the High Court in
reply to a petition filed by the mother of a seven-year-old
child seeking for issuance of guidelines to municipal schools
with regard to providing children with a safe and secured
Sherbano Khan approached the HC after her son, Sohail
Mohammad, studying in second standard in a BMC school in
suburban Sion, lost vision in his left eye after one of his
classmates accidentally jabbed a pencil into his eye on
According to the petition, the school authorities and the
teacher did not take immediate steps to provide medical
treatment to Sohail.
The HC had on June 8 directed the MCGM to file its reply
to the allegations.
"Children coming to municipal schools are from slum areas
and at times are not from a good family and thus have bad
habits. These kids have a high impact of movies on them and
fight for petty issues. The lady teachers find it very
difficult to manage such fights," the reply filed by Ram
Chhotelal Pasi, Beat Officer Schools of Sion Ward, BMC states.
It further claims, it is very difficult to prevent
occurrence of such incidents in the future unless there is
awareness on the part of the children and their parents
regarding good behaviour.
"With regard to the case of Sohail, the teacher of the
class had checked his eyes and since there was no redness or
bleeding, she asked him to wash his eyes and then sent him
home along with a peon of the school to inform the parents
about the incident," the reply reads.
A division bench of the HC comprising of Justices Ranjana
Desai and Nishita Mhatre had on the last hearing come down
heavily on the civic body as to why first aid was not
administered by the school to Sohail.
The matter will come up for hearing before the HC
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away after suffering cardiac arrest; Panneerselvam takes oath as new CM of Tamil Nadu
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what