Manikrao Thakre to send legal notice to Gadkari
Mumbai: Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) president Manikrao Thakre on Tuesday said he will send a legal notice to BJP chief Nitin Gadkari for making "baseless allegations" against him of non-payment of Rs 23 lakh to sugarcane growers.
At a press conference, Thakre said due to the spate of allegations against Gadkari, the BJP leader is disturbed and has been levelling counter charges to divert attention and threatening the media for exposing him.
"I do not owe any money to sugarcane growers. This could be be a transaction between Gadkari`s Purti group and the Yavatmal sugar co-operative factory.
Transportation charges are involved because sugarcane from one factory is taken to another factory for crushing. But, I am not the chairman of the Yavatmal sugar factory," he said.
Lashing out at Gadkari, Thakre said, "The BJP national president says he works for the benefit of Vidarbha farmers. He is a member of the legislative council. How many times has he attended its proceedings and highlighted farmers` issues in the last five years".
Thakre alleged that Gadkari himself had duped farmers who had taken loans worth Rs 25 lakh from the Chandrapur District Co-operative Bank.
"In 2004-05, Purti Sugar Co-operative had entered into a deal with Satyam Engineering Consultants to set up a lift irrigation project in Usegaon village of Chandrapur district. Farmers who trusted the deal because of Gadkari`s involvement kept their land as collateral to get bank guarantee for the loan.
However, Satyam did not do any work and backed out of the project, leaving farmers in the lurch," he said.
Thakre said he has written to Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan not to allow private parties to purchase sugar co-operatives. "Sugar co-operatives should be run by the government with farmers` help. Otherwise the co-operative sector will be adversely affected," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- One killed, 30 wounded by explosions in southern Thailand – police
- Iraq summons its envoy to Portugal over teenager assault
- Cara Delevingne, Amber Heard turned away from strip club
- Obama promises aid to help Louisiana fully recover from flooding
- US investigating non-travel Zika case in new area in Florida