Mantralaya fire: Adarsh files with CBI, says CM
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Friday dismissed reports that files related to the Adarsh Housing Society were destroyed in the fire that engulfed Mantralaya, even as the death toll in the tragedy rose to five.
Rejected conspiracy theories, Chavan said that all files related to Adarsh were already with the Central Bureau of Investigation and the fire will not in any way affect the probe into the alleged scam.
On sabotage accusations by the Opposition, Chavan said that he would be meeting Opposition leaders today evening and “will listen them out”.
The CM had already ordered an inquiry by the Crime Branch to ascertain whether it was an accident, negligence or sabotage. The fire department will also probe the matter.
The Chief Minister said that last year when a file related to the controversial Adarsh Housing Society went missing, he had asked the IT department to scan all files in the land ceiling department.
“Till now 2.27 lakh files have been scanned,” he said. The Chief Minister said that efforts are also being made to recover data from the hard disks of computers destroyed in the fire.
Chavan’s clarification after a meeting of the state cabinet which was attended by all senior ministers including Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, Home Minister RR Patil.
As far as the functioning of the state secretariat is considered, the CM said that all officers have been asked to shift to their filed offices till interim arrangements are made.
He has informed the press that details about the structural audit of all government office buildings has been sought by the cabinet.
Death toll mounts to five
Meanwhile, the death toll in the major fire that swept the Maharashtra Mantralaya rose to five after three more bodies were recovered today.
A major fire broke out Thursday afternoon in room 411 on the fourth floor and quickly spread, engulfing the three top floors of the six storied iconic Mantralaya building in the heart of South Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’