Mantralaya fire: Two key offices left unscathed
Mumbai: Officials who reviewed the extent of damage to the fire-ravaged state secretariat were surprised to see that two key offices remained unscathed even as the blaze devoured other areas of the fourth floor.
The office of a deputy secretary in Urban Development department and the adjoining office belonging to Pravin Pardeshi, principal secretary, rehabilitation and relief, was not damaged in the blaze, sources said.
"There was so much heat on the fourth floor that it felt as if one had switched on a huge electric heater," an official who was among those who inspected the floors, said.
We suspect that the slab has suffered structural damage due to heat, he said.
In the morning, Chief Secretary Jayant Kumar Banthia sent a team of PWD structural engineers to inspect the damage in the aftermath of the blaze.
Banthia remained on the second floor of the administrative building opposite the Mantralaya supervising the rescue work. Sales Tax Commissioner Sanjay Bhatia and Finance Secretary Sudhir Srivastava were with Banthia.
In the morning, Banthia spoke to City Police Commissioner Arup Patnaik about non-presence of senior police officials in the area, sources said.
Examination of the Mantralaya attendance record may help shed light on whether someone is still trapped in the top floors, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results LIVE: BJP registers emphatic win; PM Narendra Modi says it's a great start to 2017
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17