Mantralaya fire: Two key offices left unscathed
Mumbai: Officials who reviewed the extent of damage to the fire-ravaged state secretariat were surprised to see that two key offices remained unscathed even as the blaze devoured other areas of the fourth floor.
The office of a deputy secretary in Urban Development department and the adjoining office belonging to Pravin Pardeshi, principal secretary, rehabilitation and relief, was not damaged in the blaze, sources said.
"There was so much heat on the fourth floor that it felt as if one had switched on a huge electric heater," an official who was among those who inspected the floors, said.
We suspect that the slab has suffered structural damage due to heat, he said.
In the morning, Chief Secretary Jayant Kumar Banthia sent a team of PWD structural engineers to inspect the damage in the aftermath of the blaze.
Banthia remained on the second floor of the administrative building opposite the Mantralaya supervising the rescue work. Sales Tax Commissioner Sanjay Bhatia and Finance Secretary Sudhir Srivastava were with Banthia.
In the morning, Banthia spoke to City Police Commissioner Arup Patnaik about non-presence of senior police officials in the area, sources said.
Examination of the Mantralaya attendance record may help shed light on whether someone is still trapped in the top floors, they said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know