Maoist attack: Seven policemen killed in Maharashtra`s Gadchiroli
Zee Media Bureau
Gadchiroili: At least seven policemen were killed in a Naxal attack here on Sunday morning after the Maoists trigger a landmine blast.
“Seven policemen killed in a landmine blast triggered by Maoists in Maharashtra`s Gadchiroili," a police official said.
According to reports, the blast occoured near Pavimuranda village in Gadchiroili, Maharashtra, around 9:30 am today.
The policemen were returning from a patrolling task when the landmine blew up their vehicle.
Officials said the slain security personnel belong to the specialised C-60 anti-Naxal operations force of Maharashtra and the blast took place when their vehicle was moving along the Murmuri-Chamuri axis of the district.
"We have lost seven of our men in the attack carried out by Naxalites.The incident occured in Gadchiroli," a senior police officer said.
The injured have been airlifted to Nagpur while additional reinforcements of security personnel have been sent, they said.
After the landmine blast, there was an exchange of fire between the police and Maoists.
Firing is still going on in the forest area, police said.
Gadchiroli has been a haven for Naxals and various such incidents have been reported in the past from this region.
The Maoist attack comes days after five policemen and three polling officials were killed when a group of suspected Maoists targeted the bus in which they were travelling in Sikaripara block of Jharkhand’s Dumka district on April 24.
On March 11, fifteen security persons killed in Chattisgarh’s Sukma district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days