Maoists kill village Congress leader
Gadchiroli : Ahead of Maharashtra`s civic and zilla parishad (district council) polls, Maoists shot dead a panchayat samiti member of the Congress party near the Dandakaranya forests here Saturday, police said.
The incident happened in Bhamragad town closely surrounded by dense forests, 185 km from the district headquarters of Gadchiroli.
"According to preliminary report, Bahadur Alam, the victim was in the compound of his house when around 15 Naxals came from the forest. One of them gunned him down," an official from Bhamragad sub-divisional police office told news agency.
"A team is on the spot and assessing the situation. We will get a clear picture only after initial investigation of the matter," he added.
Bhamragad is located in the dense forests that are called Dandakaranya. It is also located on the border of Maharashtra and Chhattisgarh states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city