Maratha history downplayed in NCERT textbooks: Maharashtra BJP
Mumbai: Maharashtra unit of BJP on Saturday alleged that there has been "inadequate" representation of Maratha rulers and social reformers in the NCERT social science and history textbooks and demanded immediate inclusion of their achievements.
"We will meet Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and request him to ask the Centre to discontinue these textbooks," party`s state unit president Devendra Fadnavis said.
"Congress does not want the real history to be taught. That party wants to create a generation which forgets our history and culture," he said.
The CBSE history textbooks designed by NCERT have inadequate information on some of the important Maratha warriors and events, Fadnavis said. Some of the landmark events were of national importance and their significance was not just restricted to the history of Maharashtra, he said.
A team of history scholars evaluated nearly 1,600 pages of NCERT history textbooks from class VI to XII and found that the council has neglected the Maratha history, the BJP leader said.
"The history of the Marathas was confined to only one-and-a-half page and did not even carry a photo of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?