Maratha history downplayed in NCERT textbooks: Maharashtra BJP
Mumbai: Maharashtra unit of BJP on Saturday alleged that there has been "inadequate" representation of Maratha rulers and social reformers in the NCERT social science and history textbooks and demanded immediate inclusion of their achievements.
"We will meet Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and request him to ask the Centre to discontinue these textbooks," party`s state unit president Devendra Fadnavis said.
"Congress does not want the real history to be taught. That party wants to create a generation which forgets our history and culture," he said.
The CBSE history textbooks designed by NCERT have inadequate information on some of the important Maratha warriors and events, Fadnavis said. Some of the landmark events were of national importance and their significance was not just restricted to the history of Maharashtra, he said.
A team of history scholars evaluated nearly 1,600 pages of NCERT history textbooks from class VI to XII and found that the council has neglected the Maratha history, the BJP leader said.
"The history of the Marathas was confined to only one-and-a-half page and did not even carry a photo of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport