Marathi oath: Raj Thackeray may face breach of privilege
Mumbai: MNS chief Raj Thackeray`s diktat to
MLAs to take oath "only in Marathi" or face his party`s wrath,
may see the enfant terrible of state politics facing a breach
of privilege move.
"A member of the House can take oath in any of the around
15 notified languages. No one can dictate to a member in which
language he or she should take oath," a senior Vidhan Bhawan
"All it would take is a member or members to approach the
Speaker and the presiding officer would not think twice before
admitting the notice of breach of privilege of the House and
its members," the official said.
"On earlier occasions, members have taken oath in Hindi,
Gujarati, Urdu, Sanskrit and English, besides Marathi," the
official said. The 289th member of the House, who represents
Anglo-Indian community, takes oath in English.
"No one objected when some Maharashtra MPs took oath in
the Lok Sabha in Marathi. Who is Raj to force MLAs to choose a
language," a Samajwadi Party functionary said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information