Marathi writer accused of rape surrenders
Satara (Maharashtra): Laxman Mane, a runaway former lawmaker and Marathi writer accused by six women of rape, surrendered to police here Monday evening, an official said.
"Mane surrendered in Satara rural police station. He has been arrested," Satara Superintendent of Police KM Prasanna told a news agency.
A fortnight ago, rape cases were registered against Mane after women working in an Ashram school complained to police. The school was being run by Mane in Jakatwadi village in Satara district, 250 km from Mumbai.
Mane, 63, a former Maharashtra legislative council member, will be presented before a court for remand, Prasanna said.
Among the complainants are helpers, peons and cooks who were working in his school.
Mane was honoured with a Padma Shri four years ago and the prestigious Sahitya Akademi award for his autobiography "Upara" in 1981.
Police said that initially three married women aged between 30 and 35 alleged that the writer raped them on the pretext of making them permanent employees of his school, but later reneged on his word.
The trio had claimed that Mane raped them between 2003 and 2010 in the school, at his home in Satara, and at a guest house in Pune.
As the case got wide publicity, three more women came forward and registered complaints against him in the past few days.
After booking Mane for rape, police visited his home and other places in Pune and Mumbai, but he remained untraceable till he surrendered.
Mane`s family has denied the allegations and said that he was being framed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know