Maval firing: HC wants action taken report
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Thursday directed
the Maharashtra government to state what action it has taken
against errant officers in the Maval firing case.
A division bench of justices D D Sinha and V K
Tahilramani was hearing two PILs filed by social activists
seeking the case to be probed by CBI or any other independent
The court was informed today that an FIR has been lodged
by Maval police after an order by a magistrate there.
"FIR was registered in September. What is the progress?
What action has been taken against errant officers," the
court asked. The state government has been directed to file a
reply within five weeks.
On August 9, police had fired on farmers who had gathered
to oppose the state government`s decision of laying a closed
pipeline to supply water from Pavna dam to the limits of
Pimpri-Chinchwad municipal corporation.
Farmers had claimed that due to closed pipeline they
would not get water for their crops.
The police claimed that they fired to protect a fellow
officer of Wadgaon police station, which is a right to self
The PIL, filed by freedom fighter and social activist
Balasaheb Jambulkar, who was also present at the time of
incident, states that police chased people and fired at them.
Counsels for Jambulkar - Anil Anturkar and Sugandh
Deshmukh - argued that three persons, including a woman had
died in the incident. Anturkar argued that there are video
recordings of police chasing people and firing at them.
"We tried to lodge complaint with local police concerned,
however, they refused to take complaint since it was against
their Superintendent of Police Sandeep Karnik," said Anturkar.
The lawyer argued that Karnik, who has since been
transferred to Mumbai, also happens to be the son-in-law of
then Maharashtra DGP Ajit Parasnis.
The other PIL has been filed by social activist I G
Khandelwal seeking similar relief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey