Maval firing: HC wants action taken report
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Thursday directed
the Maharashtra government to state what action it has taken
against errant officers in the Maval firing case.
A division bench of justices D D Sinha and V K
Tahilramani was hearing two PILs filed by social activists
seeking the case to be probed by CBI or any other independent
The court was informed today that an FIR has been lodged
by Maval police after an order by a magistrate there.
"FIR was registered in September. What is the progress?
What action has been taken against errant officers," the
court asked. The state government has been directed to file a
reply within five weeks.
On August 9, police had fired on farmers who had gathered
to oppose the state government`s decision of laying a closed
pipeline to supply water from Pavna dam to the limits of
Pimpri-Chinchwad municipal corporation.
Farmers had claimed that due to closed pipeline they
would not get water for their crops.
The police claimed that they fired to protect a fellow
officer of Wadgaon police station, which is a right to self
The PIL, filed by freedom fighter and social activist
Balasaheb Jambulkar, who was also present at the time of
incident, states that police chased people and fired at them.
Counsels for Jambulkar - Anil Anturkar and Sugandh
Deshmukh - argued that three persons, including a woman had
died in the incident. Anturkar argued that there are video
recordings of police chasing people and firing at them.
"We tried to lodge complaint with local police concerned,
however, they refused to take complaint since it was against
their Superintendent of Police Sandeep Karnik," said Anturkar.
The lawyer argued that Karnik, who has since been
transferred to Mumbai, also happens to be the son-in-law of
then Maharashtra DGP Ajit Parasnis.
The other PIL has been filed by social activist I G
Khandelwal seeking similar relief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced