May shift Jundal to Navi Mumbai jail: Authorities
Mumbai: Authorities on Tuesday told the special MCOCA court that they are contemplating shifting the suspected LeT operative and key plotter of 26/11 terror strikes Abu Jundal from Arthur Road jail here to a facility at Taloja in Navi Mumbai.
"The Arthur Road Jail officials told the court that they are contemplating to shift Jundal to Taloja jail but the decision will be taken in couple of days", Jundal`s lawyer Ejaz Naqvi said without elaborating.
Jundal has been tried by the special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crimes Act (MCOCA) court in connection with the 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case.
Jundal, who has been lodged at the Arthur Road Prison here, has written a letter threatening to go on a hunger strike if he is not taken out of solitary confinement.
The letter was submitted to the court yesterday by the jail authorities. The suspected LeT operative is one of the 22 accused in the arms haul case wherein the Maharashtra ATS team had seized 30 kg RDX, 10 AK-47 assault rifles and 3,200 bullets on May 8, 2006 from three persons after chasing a Tata Sumo and an Indica car on Chandwad-Manmad highway near Aurangabad.
The Indica was allegedly driven by Jundal who managed to give police the slip at that time.
According to the prosecution, Jundal then drove to Malegaon and handed over the vehicle to an acquaintance before escaping to Pakistan via Bangladesh on a fake passport in May 2006.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged