May shift Jundal to Navi Mumbai jail: Authorities
Mumbai: Authorities on Tuesday told the special MCOCA court that they are contemplating shifting the suspected LeT operative and key plotter of 26/11 terror strikes Abu Jundal from Arthur Road jail here to a facility at Taloja in Navi Mumbai.
"The Arthur Road Jail officials told the court that they are contemplating to shift Jundal to Taloja jail but the decision will be taken in couple of days", Jundal`s lawyer Ejaz Naqvi said without elaborating.
Jundal has been tried by the special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crimes Act (MCOCA) court in connection with the 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case.
Jundal, who has been lodged at the Arthur Road Prison here, has written a letter threatening to go on a hunger strike if he is not taken out of solitary confinement.
The letter was submitted to the court yesterday by the jail authorities. The suspected LeT operative is one of the 22 accused in the arms haul case wherein the Maharashtra ATS team had seized 30 kg RDX, 10 AK-47 assault rifles and 3,200 bullets on May 8, 2006 from three persons after chasing a Tata Sumo and an Indica car on Chandwad-Manmad highway near Aurangabad.
The Indica was allegedly driven by Jundal who managed to give police the slip at that time.
According to the prosecution, Jundal then drove to Malegaon and handed over the vehicle to an acquaintance before escaping to Pakistan via Bangladesh on a fake passport in May 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!