May shift Jundal to Navi Mumbai jail: Authorities
Mumbai: Authorities on Tuesday told the special MCOCA court that they are contemplating shifting the suspected LeT operative and key plotter of 26/11 terror strikes Abu Jundal from Arthur Road jail here to a facility at Taloja in Navi Mumbai.
"The Arthur Road Jail officials told the court that they are contemplating to shift Jundal to Taloja jail but the decision will be taken in couple of days", Jundal`s lawyer Ejaz Naqvi said without elaborating.
Jundal has been tried by the special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crimes Act (MCOCA) court in connection with the 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case.
Jundal, who has been lodged at the Arthur Road Prison here, has written a letter threatening to go on a hunger strike if he is not taken out of solitary confinement.
The letter was submitted to the court yesterday by the jail authorities. The suspected LeT operative is one of the 22 accused in the arms haul case wherein the Maharashtra ATS team had seized 30 kg RDX, 10 AK-47 assault rifles and 3,200 bullets on May 8, 2006 from three persons after chasing a Tata Sumo and an Indica car on Chandwad-Manmad highway near Aurangabad.
The Indica was allegedly driven by Jundal who managed to give police the slip at that time.
According to the prosecution, Jundal then drove to Malegaon and handed over the vehicle to an acquaintance before escaping to Pakistan via Bangladesh on a fake passport in May 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez