MCOCA not applicable against Hasan Ali: Police
Mumbai: The stringent MCOCA is not
applicable against Pune-based businessman Hasan Ali Khan,
facing charges of money laundering and tax evasion, police
said in a report submitted to a special court here on Wednesday.
"Police have prepared the report pursuant to the court`s
direction and have said MCOCA (Maharashtra Control of
Organised Crime Act) is not applicable against Ali. There is
also a letter from Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime)
rejecting invocation of MCOCA in the case after going through
the report," said special public prosecutor Dileep Shah.
In October, the court had directed the Mumbai Police to
ascertain whether a case is made out against Khan under MCOCA.
The order was passed by designated MCOCA judge SM Modak, who
asked the city police commissioner to appoint an officer to
conduct a probe and file a report within a month.
The court is likely to take up the report tomorrow and
The court was hearing an application filed by I G
Khandelwal, an activist who contended that MCOCA charges be
slapped on Khan, facing money laundering charges in a special
court under Prevention of Money Laundering Act.
Khan, lodged in Arthur Road Jail here, is alleged to have
stashed USD 8 billion of laundered money in Swiss banks and
evaded tax close to Rs 70,000 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'