Medha Patkar ends fast over demolition of slums
Mumbai: Social activist Medha Patkar, who was protesting the eviction of slum-dwellers from Golibar in suburban Khar here, ended her fast on the ninth day on Saturday after the Maharashtra government agreed to her demands.
"Medha has ended her fast after Collector Nirmal Deshmukh came up with a notification this afternoon. They have agreed to her demands," Madhuresh Kumar, a member of National Alliance of Peoples` Movement (NAPM) and Patkar`s associate said.
She was on a fast from May 20 in Golibar slum area of Mumbai, where a 140-acre land has been handed to a private builder. The activist claimed that signatures of slum dwellers were forged on letters of consent given for a proposed slum-rehabilitation project.
Medha had also demanded the removal of Clause 3K of the Maharashtra Slum Areas Act, 1971, that allows the state government to take over land without requiring consent of slum dwellers, investigation into all the projects sanctioned under this section and the implementation of Rajiv Awas Yojana in Mumbai.
"The government has agreed to constitute two new joint committees with representatives of the civil society. One would look into Ganesh Kripa Housing society issue and will submit its report on June 15," Kumar said.
The second committee will investigate 15 slum areas where Clause 3K of the Maharashtra Slum Act has been used and submit a report in four months, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory