Medha Patkar seeks inquiry into Bandra fire
Mumbai: Social activist Medha Patkar on Saturday
demanded an inquiry into the cause of last night`s fire in a
slum in suburban Bandra, in which at least 21 people were
injured and over 2,000 people rendered homeless.
A major fire broke out last night at Garib Nagar slum
on the east side of Bandra railway station.
"We demand compensation between Rs 50,000 to Rs 1 lakh
per family. Also, an inquiry must be initiated to ascertain
the cause of fire. The possibility of the involvement of a
builder cannot be ruled out," Patkar told PTI.
Twenty-one persons including four firemen were injured in
"The slum-dwellers must be provided with shelters at the
earliest," Patkar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands