Medha Patkar seeks inquiry into Bandra fire
Mumbai: Social activist Medha Patkar on Saturday
demanded an inquiry into the cause of last night`s fire in a
slum in suburban Bandra, in which at least 21 people were
injured and over 2,000 people rendered homeless.
A major fire broke out last night at Garib Nagar slum
on the east side of Bandra railway station.
"We demand compensation between Rs 50,000 to Rs 1 lakh
per family. Also, an inquiry must be initiated to ascertain
the cause of fire. The possibility of the involvement of a
builder cannot be ruled out," Patkar told PTI.
Twenty-one persons including four firemen were injured in
"The slum-dwellers must be provided with shelters at the
earliest," Patkar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far