Medha Patkar`s fast enters sixth day
Mumbai: Social activist Medha Patkar`s indefinite fast to protest evictions in the Golibar area and to stop demolitions in the city, entered the sixth day on Tuesday.
Patkar has alleged that Mumbai`s Slum Rehabilitation Scheme was marred by corruption, government indifference and builders` atrocities.
Patkar has demanded that work on the six Slum Rehabilitation Authority projects be stopped till the enquiry in the matter was completed.
Many people faced evictions and some of the houses in areas like Golibar were demolished to make way for slum rehab projects.
An associate of Patkar said the National Human Rights Commission has issued notices to the Chief Secretary and DGP of Maharashtra, calling for their response to the issues of demolitions and the indefinite fast by Patkar.
"Despite growing signs of weakness and deteriorating health like vomiting, body ache, back ache, Patkar is carrying on with the fast," a release said.
Many people including slum dwellers are joining the relay fast every day at Golibar ground, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India