Medha Patkar`s fast enters sixth day
Mumbai: Social activist Medha Patkar`s indefinite fast to protest evictions in the Golibar area and to stop demolitions in the city, entered the sixth day on Tuesday.
Patkar has alleged that Mumbai`s Slum Rehabilitation Scheme was marred by corruption, government indifference and builders` atrocities.
Patkar has demanded that work on the six Slum Rehabilitation Authority projects be stopped till the enquiry in the matter was completed.
Many people faced evictions and some of the houses in areas like Golibar were demolished to make way for slum rehab projects.
An associate of Patkar said the National Human Rights Commission has issued notices to the Chief Secretary and DGP of Maharashtra, calling for their response to the issues of demolitions and the indefinite fast by Patkar.
"Despite growing signs of weakness and deteriorating health like vomiting, body ache, back ache, Patkar is carrying on with the fast," a release said.
Many people including slum dwellers are joining the relay fast every day at Golibar ground, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal