Medha Patkar`s fast enters sixth day
Mumbai: Social activist Medha Patkar`s indefinite fast to protest evictions in the Golibar area and to stop demolitions in the city, entered the sixth day on Tuesday.
Patkar has alleged that Mumbai`s Slum Rehabilitation Scheme was marred by corruption, government indifference and builders` atrocities.
Patkar has demanded that work on the six Slum Rehabilitation Authority projects be stopped till the enquiry in the matter was completed.
Many people faced evictions and some of the houses in areas like Golibar were demolished to make way for slum rehab projects.
An associate of Patkar said the National Human Rights Commission has issued notices to the Chief Secretary and DGP of Maharashtra, calling for their response to the issues of demolitions and the indefinite fast by Patkar.
"Despite growing signs of weakness and deteriorating health like vomiting, body ache, back ache, Patkar is carrying on with the fast," a release said.
Many people including slum dwellers are joining the relay fast every day at Golibar ground, it said.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- UP Police Computer Operator Admit Card 2016 for May 19 exam available. Check uppbpb.gov.in
- Congress responsible for drought in state, says Maharashtra's finance minister
- US House passes email privacy bill
- PM Modi meets ailing Sushma Swaraj at AIIMS
- Twinkle Khanna’s words for ‘fitness freak’ hubby Akshay Kumar - It can’t get sweeter than this!