Mend ways or face consequences: Ajit Pawar to MNS
Mumbai: Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar on Wednesday asked Raj Thackeray-led MNS to mend ways and desist from the smear campaign against NCP or face a "befitting reply".
"Some people are trying to defame NCP. If they try to attack us by doing `nautakni` (theatrics), we are ready to give a befitting reply. We have done good developmental work and that is why people are electing us", Ajit said while addressing party workers at Guhagar in coastal Ratnagiri district.
Ajit was reacting to reports of suspected MNS cadres indulging in vandalism and stone pelting in various parts of Mumbai and Thane districts through the day in the wake of NCP workers allegedly hurling stones at the convoy of Raj Thackeray at Bhingar town in western Maharashtra district last night.
"Some people are politicising the issue of Marathi pride but at the same time praising Gujarat and Bihar. It appears they are confused. Our party`s view is that people from any state can settle anywhere in country though our government ensures that rights of locals are not get affected", the deputy chief minister said.
Sharad Pawar-led NCP and MNS came face to face after Raj Thackeray, during his ongoing tour of the state, criticised Ajit Pawar and NCP for bringing upon severe drought on Marathwada region.
Meanwhile, PWD Minister and NCP leader Chhagan Bhujbal today asked the party workers to stay away from violence.
"We will counter Raj Thackeray by giving him a reply through public meetings. Nobody should try to take law in their hands," Bhujbal told reporters.
Leader of Opposition in Legislative Assembly Eknath Khadse said political criticism should be done observing restraint.
"If anybody tries to violate law, strict action should be taken against that person", he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional