Mend ways or face consequences: Ajit Pawar to MNS
Mumbai: Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar on Wednesday asked Raj Thackeray-led MNS to mend ways and desist from the smear campaign against NCP or face a "befitting reply".
"Some people are trying to defame NCP. If they try to attack us by doing `nautakni` (theatrics), we are ready to give a befitting reply. We have done good developmental work and that is why people are electing us", Ajit said while addressing party workers at Guhagar in coastal Ratnagiri district.
Ajit was reacting to reports of suspected MNS cadres indulging in vandalism and stone pelting in various parts of Mumbai and Thane districts through the day in the wake of NCP workers allegedly hurling stones at the convoy of Raj Thackeray at Bhingar town in western Maharashtra district last night.
"Some people are politicising the issue of Marathi pride but at the same time praising Gujarat and Bihar. It appears they are confused. Our party`s view is that people from any state can settle anywhere in country though our government ensures that rights of locals are not get affected", the deputy chief minister said.
Sharad Pawar-led NCP and MNS came face to face after Raj Thackeray, during his ongoing tour of the state, criticised Ajit Pawar and NCP for bringing upon severe drought on Marathwada region.
Meanwhile, PWD Minister and NCP leader Chhagan Bhujbal today asked the party workers to stay away from violence.
"We will counter Raj Thackeray by giving him a reply through public meetings. Nobody should try to take law in their hands," Bhujbal told reporters.
Leader of Opposition in Legislative Assembly Eknath Khadse said political criticism should be done observing restraint.
"If anybody tries to violate law, strict action should be taken against that person", he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing