`Mention Madam Cama, Rajguru in correspondence`
Mumbai: Maharashtra Government has
directed Mantralaya mandarins to mention `Madam Cama Road` and
`Hutatma Rajguru Chowk` in their official correspondence,
while addressing letters to the State Secretariat.
The directive has been issued following a demand by
members of Legislative Council last year that the names of the
road and chowk named after the two leading figures in freedom
struggle should be mentioned in letters, instead of merely
A prominent personality of the Indian nationalist
movement, Madam Cama was born as Bhikaiji Rustom Cama in 1861
and first unfurled the National Flag in an International
Socialist Conference held at Stuttgart in 1907.
Shivaram Hari Rajguru (August 24, 1908-March 23,
1931), popularly known as Hutatma Rajguru, hailed from Pune
district in Maharashtra and was hanged with revolutionaries
Bhagat Singh and Sukhdev on charge of killing of a British
police officer in 1928 to avenge the death of veteran leader
Lala Lajpat Rai.
"The objective behind the decision is to remind future
generation of their dedication and sacrifice for the country,"
an official release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation