MES activists stage protest, taken into custody
Belgaum: About 50 activists of Maharashtra Ekikaran Samiti were taken into custody when they staged a protest here against the inauguration of the second legislature complex, `Suvarna Vidhana Soudha` by President Pranab Mukherjee tomorrow.
The activists were taken into custody when they staged a protest in Bogarve, protesting against the inauguration, police said.
Political parties in Maharashtra have objected to the inauguration, citing the boundary dispute between Karnataka and its neighbouring state.
Maharashtra claims Belgaum belongs to it but Karnataka has maintained the issue had been settled long time ago when the central-government appointed Mahajan Commission in its August 1967 report categorically stated the city was part of Karnataka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31