MES activists stage protest, taken into custody
Belgaum: About 50 activists of Maharashtra Ekikaran Samiti were taken into custody when they staged a protest here against the inauguration of the second legislature complex, `Suvarna Vidhana Soudha` by President Pranab Mukherjee tomorrow.
The activists were taken into custody when they staged a protest in Bogarve, protesting against the inauguration, police said.
Political parties in Maharashtra have objected to the inauguration, citing the boundary dispute between Karnataka and its neighbouring state.
Maharashtra claims Belgaum belongs to it but Karnataka has maintained the issue had been settled long time ago when the central-government appointed Mahajan Commission in its August 1967 report categorically stated the city was part of Karnataka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Lindsay told me she's pregnant: Father
- Barack Obama slams Donald Trump for 'selling fear'; endorses Hillary Clinton for US presidency
- India vs West Indies, 2nd Test: Virat Kohli and co get into Jamaican groove with heavy work-out
- Air India passengers to have hassle-free travel; 2 check-in counters opened at Delhi Metro station
- Abu Jundal convicted in 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case; court accepts there was a conspiracy to eliminate Modi, Togadia