Metro railway line to connect South Mumbai and Tha
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government said on Thursday it plans to introduce a metro rail line connecting South Mumbai and neighbouring Thane.
"A plan to set up metro railway line at an estimated cost of around Rs 2,091 crore is under the active consideration of the government," Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said in the lower house, replying to a discussion on the issue through a calling attention notice.
Chavan indicated that a feasibility plan had been worked out and that the government is ready to take it up.
Consultants felt that an efficient public bus transport system is considered more viable and preferable, he said.
Informing the house that a detailed project report for the joint metro project had been prepared, Chavan said that it would be discussed during the next Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) meeting.
"The government will send the project report to the Centre for approval," Chavan said.
The government has decided to take up the project under a financial model, where the centre and state would each share 20 per cent of the project cost, while the urban local body would bear another 10 per cent, he said, adding that the remaining 50 per cent could be raised through loans.
In his written reply during the discussion, Chavan also informed that it has been decided to extend the proposed Navi Mumbai Metro project (Belapur-Kharghar-Khandeshwar) to the site of the Navi Mumbai International Airport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price