MFUCTU `shocked` over Kakodkar Committee report
Mumbai: The Maharashtra Federation of
University and College Teachers Union has expressed shock over
the recommendations made in a report submitted to the state
government by the Anil Kakodkar Committee on Higher Education.
"It is surprising and shocking to learn from the report
that it has taken a stand to dismantle the system of
public-funded education and promote private funded education
(self financing educational institutions) in Maharashtra,"
Tapati Mukhopadhyay, General Secretary of MFUCTU said.
The report has been prepared with a different perspective
to reduce the government expenditure on social infrastructure
and welfare heads, namely education. All recommendations of
the report have been aimed at reducing the role and
responsibility of the government, she said.
"Unfortunately, the Kakodkar Committee has not suggested
anything for saving the public-funded education in India,"
At present with amended Right to Education Bill, the
pre-primary education has gone in the private hand and this
situation has pushed a large number of lower income groups
outside the schooling system, she said, adding in colleges
many students are averted from fundamental subjects like
Physics, Chemistry in science, or in literature.
"They are attracted by the market-oriented subjects. Many
fundamental subjects are closing down. Teachers are becoming
surplus. Many educational institutions and departments are on
the verge of closure," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing