MHADA gets redevelopment rights for sector five of Dharavi
Mumbai: Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has
passed the order assigning redevelopment rights for sector
five of Dharavi slum area here to the government-controlled
Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority (MHADA).
Chavan had announced this earlier in the Legislative
Council in March, the order was signed yesterday, officials
Global tenders had been invited to develop Dharavi,
considered to be Asia`s largest slum, but as no satisfactory
bid came, the process would be scrapped, Chavan had then said.
Dharavi Redevelopment Project Authority has been created
to oversee the redevelopment of the area, spread over 212
Sector five, allotted to MHADA, is spread across 21
hectares and involves rehabilitation of over 9,000 families.
Ofiicials said MHADA plans to use FSI of 4, using 4.5
lakh sq meters of built-up area from the total available 10.5
lakh sq meters for rehabilitation of slum dwellers; the
remaining area will be used to build affordable houses for
The Chief Minister has also assured that government would
consider rehabilitation of small-scale industries operating
out of Dharavi.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata