Millions bid adieu to Lord Ganesha in Maharashtra
Mumbai: Maharashtra bids farewell to Lord Ganesh amidst a riot of colours, traditional dance and music with thousands of big and small idols of the elephant-headed God set to be immersed under tight security on the occasion of `Anant Chaturdashi` on saturday.
In Mumbai, people in large numbers lined up the streets to witness the immersion of Ganesh idols in the city and suburbs as chants of `Ganapati Bappa Moraya ` rented the air.
Maharashtra Government has declared a holiday today.
Mumbai Police, Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation(BMC), Indian Navy, Coast Guard, social groups and political parties are overseeing the immersion that marks the end of the Ganesh festival which began on September 19.
The BMC has prepared specific locations for immersion of the idols, the main being the Arabian Sea beaches at Chowpatty, Mahim, Prabhadevi, Juhu, Versova and Marve.
There are several other immersion sites, including the Mithi river inside the Sanjay Gandhi National Park in suburban Borivali, Aarey Milk Colony, small lakes, ponds and wells.
The civic body has created artificial ponds for immersion of small idols which will ease pressure on the regular sites.
The immersion processions of all major Ganesh mandals started in the afternoon all over the metropolis where strict traffic norms are in place for the day.
Immersion processions were also taken out in other parts of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?