Millions bid adieu to Lord Ganesha in Maharashtra
Mumbai: Maharashtra bids farewell to Lord Ganesh amidst a riot of colours, traditional dance and music with thousands of big and small idols of the elephant-headed God set to be immersed under tight security on the occasion of `Anant Chaturdashi` on saturday.
In Mumbai, people in large numbers lined up the streets to witness the immersion of Ganesh idols in the city and suburbs as chants of `Ganapati Bappa Moraya ` rented the air.
Maharashtra Government has declared a holiday today.
Mumbai Police, Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation(BMC), Indian Navy, Coast Guard, social groups and political parties are overseeing the immersion that marks the end of the Ganesh festival which began on September 19.
The BMC has prepared specific locations for immersion of the idols, the main being the Arabian Sea beaches at Chowpatty, Mahim, Prabhadevi, Juhu, Versova and Marve.
There are several other immersion sites, including the Mithi river inside the Sanjay Gandhi National Park in suburban Borivali, Aarey Milk Colony, small lakes, ponds and wells.
The civic body has created artificial ponds for immersion of small idols which will ease pressure on the regular sites.
The immersion processions of all major Ganesh mandals started in the afternoon all over the metropolis where strict traffic norms are in place for the day.
Immersion processions were also taken out in other parts of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam