Minister given `milk bath` after ink attack, apologises
Mumbai: In a public display of blind faith, NCP workers bathed Maharashtra Labour minister and party leader Hasan Mushrif in milk to `purify` him from an ink attack by a fellow worker.
The incident in Kolhapur on Friday ironically occurred in a state which is the first in the country to pass a legislation against superstition.
As the incident sparked an outrage, Mushrif has apologised for the action of his supporters giving him a `milk bath` to `purify` him.
On Thursday, an NCP worker walked to the stage at a public function in Buldhana where Mushrif was seated and poured black ink on him. NCP workers caught the man, identified as Namdeo Dongardive, and handed him over to the police.
When Mushrif reached Kolhapur the next day to attend a meeting of the party workers, his followers asked him to sit on a chair and then poured milk on the minister to `purify` him.
The milk was brought in cans and steel tumblers with TV footage showing some of his supporters taking photographs of the minister while he was being drenched in milk.
"I apologise for what my followers have done. I was not aware and did not realise what they are doing. Otherwise, I would have stopped them. I was baffled both the times, when they poured milk on me and when the party worker poured ink on me," Mushrif said.
The supporters had also poured milk on Mushrif`s photo and burnt an effigy of Dongardive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'