`Minor increase in molestation cases in Maharashtra`
Mumbai: Against the backdrop of molestation of a girl in Guwahati which has created outrage across the country, Home Minister RR Patil on Monday stated in the state Legislative Council that Maharashtra had seen an uptick in molestation and eve-teasing cases in the last one year.
"There is a minor increase in molestation and eve-teasing cases in the state," Patil stated in a written reply tabled in the House.
He said helplines had been set up to curb crimes against women. "The toll-free helpline number for Mumbai and suburbs is 103 and for rest of Maharashtra it is 1091," the statement said.
To prevent dowry deaths, District Alert Committees had been set up, Patil said.
Besides, there were special courts for women-related cases and fast-track courts, the reply said.
The government was implementing measures suggested by the Justice Dharmadhikari committee, according to the minister.
BJP legislator Gopikisan Bajoriya had raised the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi