`Minor increase in molestation cases in Maharashtra`
Mumbai: Against the backdrop of molestation of a girl in Guwahati which has created outrage across the country, Home Minister RR Patil on Monday stated in the state Legislative Council that Maharashtra had seen an uptick in molestation and eve-teasing cases in the last one year.
"There is a minor increase in molestation and eve-teasing cases in the state," Patil stated in a written reply tabled in the House.
He said helplines had been set up to curb crimes against women. "The toll-free helpline number for Mumbai and suburbs is 103 and for rest of Maharashtra it is 1091," the statement said.
To prevent dowry deaths, District Alert Committees had been set up, Patil said.
Besides, there were special courts for women-related cases and fast-track courts, the reply said.
The government was implementing measures suggested by the Justice Dharmadhikari committee, according to the minister.
BJP legislator Gopikisan Bajoriya had raised the issue.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living