`Minor increase in molestation cases in Maharashtra`
Mumbai: Against the backdrop of molestation of a girl in Guwahati which has created outrage across the country, Home Minister RR Patil on Monday stated in the state Legislative Council that Maharashtra had seen an uptick in molestation and eve-teasing cases in the last one year.
"There is a minor increase in molestation and eve-teasing cases in the state," Patil stated in a written reply tabled in the House.
He said helplines had been set up to curb crimes against women. "The toll-free helpline number for Mumbai and suburbs is 103 and for rest of Maharashtra it is 1091," the statement said.
To prevent dowry deaths, District Alert Committees had been set up, Patil said.
Besides, there were special courts for women-related cases and fast-track courts, the reply said.
The government was implementing measures suggested by the Justice Dharmadhikari committee, according to the minister.
BJP legislator Gopikisan Bajoriya had raised the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video