‘Minorities shouldn’t be harassed after blasts’
Mumbai: In the wake of death of Faiz Usmani,
who was picked up for questioning by the police in connection
with serial blasts, a delegation of state minorities
commission and human rights organizations on Monday pleaded with
the heads of two agencies probing the explosions that
minorities should not be harassed after every blast.
The delegation told Maharashtra`s Anti Terrorism Squad
head Rakesh Maria and Mumbai Crime Branch chief Himanshu Roy
that minorities should not always be brought under scanner.
Noted film maker and civil rights activist Mahesh Bhatt
who was part of the delegation told the IPS officials that,
"There is a feeling among the minorities that they are
harassed after every blast. After the death of Usmani, the
feeling has only grown. We are here to address this issue."
Both the officials promised the delegation that they
would take corrective steps if the members of the delegation
bring to their notice any step by police they feel improper
and against any individual or group.
Stating that they were satisfied with the reply from Roy
on the "unfortunate" death of Usmani, Movement for Human
Welfare president Azimuddin said, "Roy told us that his team
has followed all the procedures before bringing Usmani to
their unit for questioning. I think police played a neutral
Azimuddin also added that multi dimensional angle should
be probed into the blasts. "After every blast, members of the
Muslim community are picked by police for questioning. This
should not happen."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing