Minority students` admission: Minister seeks checking of colleges
Mumbai: Maharashtra government on Tuesday directed senior officials to pay a surprise visit to the aided and non-aided colleges to check whether these institutions were adhering to norms regarding admission of minority community students.
"We have asked additional chief secretary and joint secretary from our department and director of higher and technical education department to conduct surprise checks at such colleges. If it is found that they were violating the rules, their minority status would be cancelled," Maharashtra minority development minister Naseem Khan told reporters here.
"It has come to our notice that certain aided and non-aided colleges are not admitting students from minority communities, even if it is binding on them," he said.
As per the rule, aided institutions are required to admit 51 per cent of students from the minority communities, while non-aided colleges have to give admission to 50 per cent students from the minority quota, he said.
"In case the colleges are not able to find required number of students from minority communities, then they have to take special permission from the government in this regard to admit students from other communities," Khan said, adding, these colleges have not been taking prior permission in this regard.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!