Missing BJP corporator says she is safe
Thane: In a new twist to the political
tug-of-war ahead of the March 6 Mayoral polls for the city
civic body, `missing` BJP corporator Suhasini Lokhande on Sunday said that she was safe and would turn up to cast her vote.
"I am out to pay obeisance to deity and not under any
pressure from any political party. I would cast my vote on
March 6.... The reports concerning my abduction are false and
baseless," Lokhande told a television channel over phone.
The sudden disappearance of the corporator had sparked a
controversy with the Shiv Sena-BJP and Congress-NCP combines
trading charges over the `missing` corporator.
In 130-member Thane Municipal Corporation (TMC), Shiv
Sena has 53 corporators, BJP 8 and RPI 1. As the three parties
have entered into an alliance they are facing a shortfall of 4
seats to reach the magic figure of 66. The saffron alliance
is banking on the votes of two independents and also two
others to gather the requisite numbers.
NCP has a total of 34 corporators, its partner Congress 18, MNS 7 and BSP 2.
Shiv Sena-BJP had accused NCP of abducting Lokhande
whose vote is said to be crucial for the Tuesday polls and had
even sought the postponement of the mayoral election but the
charges were dismissed by the NCP.
"...This is nothing but the result of an ongoing feud
between Shiv Sena and BJP. Their own house is on fire as the
Shiv Sena has failed to garner sufficient strength in the
February 16 civic polls in which BJP too was routed," NCP MLA
Jitendra Avhad told reporters here.
He also accused the saffron combine of trying to give
communal colour to the Mayoral elections.
"BJP and Shiv Sena are trying to drive a wedge between
two communities....This kind of propaganda is nothing but a
publicity gimmick. The saffron alliance is afraid of getting
requisite numbers for the polls and are resorting to such
tactics," the MLA told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says