Missing BMC files: Chavan announces formation of probe panel
Mumbai: Maharashtra government on Tuesday announced the formation of a two-member panel to look into the case of 10,000 files going missing from Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) offices.
Sharing the news with the state Assembly, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said that the panel will be headed by the additional chief secretary.
Subhash Desai (Shiv Sena) and other legislators had earlier raised the issue in the House through a calling attention notice after an RTI query revealed that BMC`s building proposal department had lost construction plans of three landmark buildings, all located in high-security zones.
Almost 27 per cent of these files were from the pre-1991 period, after which the new Development Control rules came into force.
Police have filed cases at Agripada, Bandra, Kandivli and Pant Nagar police stations in connection with the case, Chavan said.
"It is essential to fix responsibility for the lapse. It is the government`s view that the guilty should get stringent punishment," he said.
Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse said that the municipal commissioner, who is the custodian of BMC property, should be suspended over the case of missing files.
Members of the Raj Thackeray-led Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) sought a CBI probe into the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Congress stalwart Sheila Dikhsit refuses to become CM face for 2017 UP elections
- Modi govt shortlists 4 candidates to succeed Raghuram Rajan as RBI Governor
- Uttar Pradesh Congress cancels iftar programme, no official reason attributed behind cancellation
- China cuts yuan fix in biggest downward move since devaluation
- Amit Shah to address party workers in Barabanki