Missing BMC files: Chavan announces formation of probe panel
Mumbai: Maharashtra government on Tuesday announced the formation of a two-member panel to look into the case of 10,000 files going missing from Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) offices.
Sharing the news with the state Assembly, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said that the panel will be headed by the additional chief secretary.
Subhash Desai (Shiv Sena) and other legislators had earlier raised the issue in the House through a calling attention notice after an RTI query revealed that BMC`s building proposal department had lost construction plans of three landmark buildings, all located in high-security zones.
Almost 27 per cent of these files were from the pre-1991 period, after which the new Development Control rules came into force.
Police have filed cases at Agripada, Bandra, Kandivli and Pant Nagar police stations in connection with the case, Chavan said.
"It is essential to fix responsibility for the lapse. It is the government`s view that the guilty should get stringent punishment," he said.
Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse said that the municipal commissioner, who is the custodian of BMC property, should be suspended over the case of missing files.
Members of the Raj Thackeray-led Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) sought a CBI probe into the matter.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive