MMRDA initiates enquiry in freeway slab mishap
Mumbai: The Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) on Friday said it has initiated an enquiry into last night`s mishap where two girders of an under-construction bridge on Eastern Freeway collapsed leading to the death of one person and injuring eight others.
"The MMRDA has initiated an enquiry to identify the cause of the accident and to fix the responsibility for the same," Joint Project Director (PR) Dilip Kawathkar said in a release.
A technical committee comprising independent experts will be appointed immediately to help in the enquiry, he said.
"Prima facie investigations have revealed structural failure of launching girder that led to this mishap as the segments of the span which were erected and being glued together fell down," Kawathkar said.
At least four vehicles including an oil furnace tanker and a concrete mixer were crushed under the slabs. The oil from the tanker leaked after the tanker broke open, and spilled on the entire stretch of road nearby.
The work on the 9.29 km four-lane elevated corridor, which will connect south Mumbai at Orange Gate to the eastern suburb at Anik, has been entrusted to Simplex Infrastructure and it is scheduled to be completed by December-end.
Meanwhile, the Mumbai police has also registered an FIR against the officials of the company.
"The officials of the contractor Simplex involved in the construction of the bridge have been booked for negligence resulting in the incident," Deputy Police Commissioner KG Patil said.
The company officials were booked under IPC sections 337 (causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others), 338 (causing grievous hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others), 304A (causing death by negligence), 427 (mischief causing damage), 34 (acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention).
Meanwhile, Simplex in a statement issued today said it has also initiated an investigation into the incident.
"This is a very unusual and most unfortunate incident. We have launched an investigation into the incident. Prima facie, the cause of the mishap seems to be some kind of mechanical failure of equipment engaged for erection. A team of experts in the field has been deputed to investigate and necessary action will be taken on the basis of their report," a company spokesperson said.
"We are taking all necessary steps to restore normalcy at the site and are getting full cooperation from all agencies in the clean-up operation. We hope to complete the same at the earliest," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon