MNS activists attack toll posts across Maharashtra
Mumbai: A day after Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray questioned the toll collection policy of the state government, hundreds of MNS activists Wednesday attacked and damaged toll posts in various parts of the state, police said.
The activists attacked toll posts in Thane district`s Virar and Vasai towns, district headquarters of Nashik, Aurangabad and Buldhana, among other places in Maharashtra. They chased away toll collectors from Virar and Nashik toll posts, according to police.
Training guns on the state government, the MNS chief Tuesday had questioned the collection of toll tax in the state. "It is not wrong to impose toll, but to keep on collecting it even after the costs have been recovered is wrong," Thackeray said.
Thackeray had also sought support from anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare, who while endorsing the MNS`s stand on toll tax had asked the party to refrain from violence.
The MNS has also found support among many road users who have been demanding an end to the toll collection.
Referring to Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan`s promise to make Maharashtra "plastic-free," Thackeray demanded that first the chief minister should make the state toll-free to relieve the road users of this burden.
The MNS chief also raised doubts over the manner in which the toll collection was being carried out across the state "without any transparency".
"What is the cost of the project; within what period has the cost been recovered; how many vehicles pass through these toll posts daily... Nothing is displayed at the posts. Yet, collections are being carried out... All these questions need to be answered," Thackeray demanded.
MNS workers Tuesday trooped to various toll posts in Mumbai`s Dahisar suburb, Thane`s Vasai, and in Nashik district, leading to major traffic snarls, police said.
Mumbai, India`s financial capital, has five entry points, which generate an estimated annual revenue of over Rs 2 billion on an average from toll collection, one of the major sources of income for the state government.
The collection is made either directly by the government agencies engaged in building infrastructure or by contractors appointed for the purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow