MNS corporator among seven partymen held
Mumbai: MNS corporator Prakash Darekar and six other party workers have been arrested in connection with yesterday`s incident in which the set of filmmaker Rohan Sippy`s untitled film and vanity van of actor John Abraham were allegedly damaged in suburban Borivali, police said.
Activists of the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) had gone on a rampage yesterday following an argument with the watchman of a company, where the shooting was underway, they added.
"Prakash Darekar and six others were arrested in the case and remanded in police custody till August 1. They were charged for dacoity, unlawful assembly, rioting and damaging property," said a police officer at Kasturba marg police station.
The other six arrested accused have been identified as Ravindra More, who is MLA Pravin Darekar`s driver, Pravin Kadam, Vikram Chowgale, Jayvant Jadhav, Bharat Ghanekar and Rajesh Gavde - all MNS party workers. Meanwhile, four of the wanted accused were identified as Harshad Sawant, Jaya Godambe, Sanjay Shinde and one Sachin.
According to police, Darekar`s driver More was passing through the old premises of the Garden Wafers company, located near the Tata Power House, on his scooter yesterday afternoon, when Sanju Bhutki, the watchman and complainant, stopped him, police said.
A lane passing through the compound is frequently used as a shortcut, but Bhutki did not allow More to pass, which led to an argument, police added.
Later, Bhutki called his senior Kiran Shah, who confronted More, following which, More threatened Shah.
After some time, More, along with MNS workers barged into the company`s premises, where the shooting of Rohan Sippy`s film was in progress and vandalised around 15 parked vehicles. A vanity van belonging to actor John Abraham was also damaged, police said.
"The accused, armed with iron rods and stones, vandalised a total of 15 motor vehicles and a computer, leading to damages worth Rs 21.5 lakh. Besides, they also picked up a camera worth Rs 15,000 from one of the vehicles and robbed the complainant, Bhutki of his wallet containing Rs 4000 and a few documents," the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez