MNS seeks to shed its `anti-north Indian` image
Mumbai: Apparently eyeing a larger role in Maharashtra politics, Raj Thackeray-led Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) is now making attempts to shed its "anti-North Indian" image by reaching out to the community, which accounts for sizeable number of voters in the state.
"MNS was never against North Indians.
"North Indians have lot of misunderstanding about our party spread by media by twisting Raj`s statements. He has entrusted me the task of initiating a dialogue among the community members in Mumbai and clear the misconception and explain the MNS chief`s development agenda for Maharashtra," Vageesh Saraswat, a journalist-turned politician and a key aide of Raj told.
The toning down of MNS stand on North Indians was evident last month when the party invited megastar Amitabh Bachchan for a event organised for Cine Artistes Welfare.
"It was not about toning down of anti-North India rhetoric. Bachchan began his speech in Marathi. He has considered Maharashtra as his `karmbhoomi`. We were never against Bachchan. Criticism about the legendary actor was issue based.
"We just said Bachchan is a huge icon respected all over the country. We opposed his being brand ambassador of other states while he lives in Mumbai. But he is committed to Mumbai and the state as well," he said.
Saraswat claimed that MNS has never indulged in violence against North Indians but insisted that the party will react if the sentiments of Marathi-speaking people are hurt.
"We consider those who are dedicated to Maharashtra and Marathi as our own irrespective of which part of the country they come from. Marathi-speaking people will definitely react angrily if their sentiments are hurt and if migrants consider Mumbai as a `kamdhenu` (cow) and just want to milk it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM