MNS should engage in talks instead of destroying property: Chavan
Mumbai: Reacting to the protest staged by Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) workers at the Vashi Toll Plaza, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Wednesday said that they should engage in discussions instead of destroying public property.
Chavan also claimed that this is a political gimmick ahead of the upcoming elections.
"There is no need to destroy public property. Elections are coming, and they want to play politics. They should not create inconvenience to the public. But they should have discussion on this, and not become violent. We are discussing the toll policy, and accordingly we will decide," he told media here today.
Earlier in the day, MNS chief Raj Thackeray was reportedly detained by the police at Sion while he was on his way to lead a non-violent day-long protest at the Vashi toll plaza.
MNS party workers were out on streets protesting against the collection of tax at toll plazas in the state, and nearly 500 party workers have already been taken into preventive custody across the state so far.
Meanwhile, security has been tightened across the state, especially at toll booths.
250 policemen have been deployed outside Raj Thackeray`s residence in Dadar in Mumbai.
Thackeray was served a notice yesterday by the city police, asking him to refrain from any activity that would create law and order problems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- One shot dead in Pakistan over alleged desecration of Quran
- Govt fixes December 31 deadline for retro tax settlement scheme
- United Nation's Global Citizen Festival: Priyanka Chopra talks about humanity and youth- READ
- PM Modi can get me killed; 'daman chakra' unleashed against AAP: Kejriwal
- Honoured to help create an image for Indian Railways: Ritu Beri