MNS slams Tatkare for proposing release of water from dams in Nashik
Nashik: The announcement by Maharashtra Water Resources Minister Sunil Tatkare on releasing water to Marathwada from dams in Nashik district has met with criticism not only from Raj Thackeray-led Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) but also from the minister`s own party NCP.
Tatkare raised hackles of MNS, which controls Nashik Municipal Corporation, and also of those NCP leaders, considered close to PWD Minister Chhagan Bhujbal, over his recent announcement in Aurangabad promising release of water in Jayakwadi dam in parched Marathwada region.
"We will not let even a single drop of water (released) from dams the district to Jayakwadi," said NCP MLC Jayant Jadhav.
Another NCP leader said that water from dams in Nashik district will not be allowed to "diverted" to Jayakwadi.
MNS MLA Uttamrao Dhikle said that any attempt to this effect will be meted with strong protests.
"Monsoon in Marathwada is satisfactory and there`s enough stock in Jayakwadi dam. Nashik has two major industrial belts and the talk of release of water is unjustified," he said.
An all-party meeting has been convened here on November 2 to discuss the issue, the MLA said.
Major dams like Gangapur and Darna are presently filled up to 99 per cent and there is also ample water stock in other dams in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH