MNS to go ahead with protest march: Raj Thackeray
Mumbai: MNS president Raj Thackeray on Monday said he would go ahead with his protest march on Tuesday against the August 11 violence even though the police have denied permission for it.
Talking to reporters, Raj said the Azad Maidan police have denied permission on grounds that the morcha would lead to traffic congestion and create law-and-order problem.
"Why these rules were not applied to the Raza Academy morcha (on August 11 that later led to violence)", he asked.
Raj said he had spoken to Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan over the objection raised by the police for his protest.
"I told Chavan that the administration will have to bear the consequences if the permission is not given. Chavan told me that he would speak to the police as peaceful protest is a democratic right," Raj said.
He rejected the police charge that he had not sought permission for the protest stating "applications for permission have been made to the police".
He said he has asked his supporters to be alert and prevent anybody from taking advantage of the protest march and create trouble.
Two youths were killed and 52, including 44 policemen, injured when a rally called to protest against alleged atrocities on Muslims in Assam and Myanmar turned violent near Azad Maidan in Mumbai on August 11.
The protesters went on a rampage, attacking the police, including some women constables, torching media and police vehicles, smashing cameras of photo journalists and damaging buses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information