MNS workers stage anti-toll demonstration in Mumbai
Mumbai: A group of MNS workers on Wednesday held a demonstration against toll collection in Maharashtra and raised slogans against the Congress-NCP government.
The agitation was held at Aarey toll plaza in suburban Goregaon, where additional police force was deployed in the wake of attacks on toll collection centres in various parts of the state in the last four days by MNS activists.
The additional deployment ensured that was no violence or disruption of vehicular traffic, police said.
About 17 party workers gathered near the plaza and raised anti-government and anti-toll collection slogans, they said, adding the demonstrators were detained for a while and later allowed to go.
Since Sunday, MNS workers have vandalised toll plazas in various parts of the state as part of their agitation launched on a call given by party chief Raj Thackeray.
Yesterday, 16 MNS workers were arrested for attacking a road tax collection outlet at the Bandra-Worli Sea Link. On Monday, party MLA Pravin Darekar and 31 of his supporters were arrested and later released on bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her