Mob molested women constables: Maha Home Minister
Nagpur: Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil has given a clean chit to Raza Academy for the August 11 violence but has admitted that women police constables at Azad Maidan in Mumbai were molested by the mob.
In a written reply in Legislative Council on Tuesday, he acknowledged the opposition charge that women constable`s modesty was outraged by the protestors.
However, he said that neither has any woman police constable who suffered the humiliation commit suicide nor anyone has resigned from service.
Senior women police officers counselled the constables, he said, replying to the question raised by Shiv Sena`s Neelam Gorhe and Vinayak Raut, Congress` Jaiprakash Chajed, Mohan Joshi and others, if any constable whose modesty was outraged had committed suicide unable to bear the humiliation.
Patil clarified that it was Madina Tulam Foundation, Kurla, Mumbai, that had sought permission for the demonstration at Azad Maidan and added that the Raza Academy had not organised the morcha on that fateful day.
In his reply, the home minister denied the opposition charge that the Azad Maidan violence has lowered the morale of policemen.
He also informed that 92 people were injured in the mob violence and three police vehicles and five other vehicles of mediapersons were torched.
Besides, 50 BEST buses, 23 police vehicles, two Brihan Mumbai Corporation vehicles as well as 14 private vehicles were also damaged by the violent protestors.
The loss due to violence was pegged at Rs 2,74,33,087.
After investigation, the Crime Branch registered the offence at the Azad Maidan police station under various sections.
To recover damages, Patil said that the Crime Branch submitted a proposal to the district collector on November 1.
The state has no proposal to compensate the kin of two people who died in the violence nor for injured police constables, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert