Mob molested women constables: Maha Home Minister
Nagpur: Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil has given a clean chit to Raza Academy for the August 11 violence but has admitted that women police constables at Azad Maidan in Mumbai were molested by the mob.
In a written reply in Legislative Council on Tuesday, he acknowledged the opposition charge that women constable`s modesty was outraged by the protestors.
However, he said that neither has any woman police constable who suffered the humiliation commit suicide nor anyone has resigned from service.
Senior women police officers counselled the constables, he said, replying to the question raised by Shiv Sena`s Neelam Gorhe and Vinayak Raut, Congress` Jaiprakash Chajed, Mohan Joshi and others, if any constable whose modesty was outraged had committed suicide unable to bear the humiliation.
Patil clarified that it was Madina Tulam Foundation, Kurla, Mumbai, that had sought permission for the demonstration at Azad Maidan and added that the Raza Academy had not organised the morcha on that fateful day.
In his reply, the home minister denied the opposition charge that the Azad Maidan violence has lowered the morale of policemen.
He also informed that 92 people were injured in the mob violence and three police vehicles and five other vehicles of mediapersons were torched.
Besides, 50 BEST buses, 23 police vehicles, two Brihan Mumbai Corporation vehicles as well as 14 private vehicles were also damaged by the violent protestors.
The loss due to violence was pegged at Rs 2,74,33,087.
After investigation, the Crime Branch registered the offence at the Azad Maidan police station under various sections.
To recover damages, Patil said that the Crime Branch submitted a proposal to the district collector on November 1.
The state has no proposal to compensate the kin of two people who died in the violence nor for injured police constables, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog