Mock Vidarbha Assembly session begins in Nagpur
Nagpur: Even as the Congress is trying to extricate itself from the Andhra Pradesh bifurcation tangle, few Vidarbha protagonists is trying to mount pressure on the Centre for creating a separate state out of Maharashtra.
While a Joint Action Committee (JAC) of activists today launched a "mock Assembly session of Vidarbha", youth leader Ashish Deshmukh, son of former state minister and Congress leader Ranjeet Deshmukh, will be sitting on indefinite hunger strike from tomorrow for the cause.
In the two-day-long mock Session, a sitting MLA Anil Bonde, besides five former legislators namely Wamanrao Chatap, Saroj Kashikar, Ramesh Gajbe, Rajendra Patni and Bhola Badhel, are participating.
Deshmukh, also the founder of Youth for Vidarbha State, said the process for the creation of Telangana and that of Vidarbha be clubbed.
"The first States Reorganisation Commission headed by Justice Fazal Ali had recommended creation of Vidarbha as well as Telangana in 1956. So, ideally creation of both states should be considered simultaneously," he said.
His father Ranjit Deshmukh is former president of the Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee. Deshmukh said, Telugu leader Potti Sri Ramulu, who died while on fast in 1952 for the creation of Telugu-speaking state was the first "martyr" to lay down his life for creation of a separate state.
"This is a now or never situation for creating separate Vidarbha state," he said.
Deshmukh said he had met BJP state unit chief Devendra Fadnavis, local Congress MP Vilas Muttemwar, RPI leader Jogendra Kawade to garner support for the separate state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know