Model rape case: `Poonam Pandey cause of rift between top cop, victim`
Mumbai: Contents of emails exchanged between senior IPS officer, DIG Sunil Paraskar, and the model whom he allegedly raped, seem to suggest that Bollywood actress Poonam Pandey triggered the strain in the relationship between Paraskar and the model, the police said here on Friday.
According to contents of the emails, the 25-year-old model-turned-actress, who was allegedly raped, was furious with Paraskar and had stated that he met her professional rival Poonam Pandey, a police officer who is privy to the probe told.
However, Paraskar pleaded with her, saying he had neither met anybody called Poonam Pandey nor spoke to her, the police officer said, quoting emails exchanged between Paraskar and the model-turned-actress in June.
As per the model-turned-actress` complaint, Paraskar was booked under Section 376 (2) (rape by a police officer), Section 376 (C) (intercourse by superintendent of jail, remand home, etc) and Section 354 (D) (stalking) of the Indian Penal Code, at the Malwani police station on July 23.
In her emails, the model-turned-actress had accused Paraskar of sharing her messages with Poonam Pandey.
She had also claimed that Poonam Pandey, who is her professional rival, would show these messages to Bollywood producers and directors to tarnish her image, the police official said.
"Poonam Pandey`s name emerged in emails exchanged between Paraskar and the model-turned-actress but we are yet to decide if Pandey`s statement is required in this case or not," Deputy Police Commissioner Mahesh Patil said.
Another police officer said these electronic mails were exchanged after the alleged rape and molestation that occurred between November 2013 and January 2014.
"Hence, we will see Pandey`s relevance to the case and then, if needed her statement will be recorded," the police officer said.
The 57-year-old Deputy Inspector General Sunil Paraskar
(Protection of Civil Rights Unit) is at present posted at the Maharashtra Police Headquarters here.
Investigators have identified two places, including a bungalow in Madh Island in suburban Mumbai, as well as a flat in neighbouring Navi Mumbai where the alleged incidents had taken place.
Paraskar has been questioned twice so far.
Asked to comment, Poonam Pandey said "I have neither met Paraskar nor the survivor. I feel sorry for her and I do not know why my name is being dragged into the matter".
However, she said that in case she was called to record her statement, she would co-operate with police investigators.
"I have full faith in the police and if they call me, I will surely go and record my statement," Poonam Pandey said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside