Monk attempts immolation to protest Bodh Gaya blasts
Nagpur: A Buddhist monk on Thursday allegedly tried to immolate himself to protest the recent blasts in Bodh Gaya, police said.
Bodhi Priya Vinay (49), from Ghughus (Chandrapur district), along with a number of other Buddhists had gathered since morning near Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar statue at RBI square on the busy Nagpur-Jabalpur road to register their protests against the serial blasts in Bodh Gaya.
During the demonstration, Vinay tried to set himself on fire but the police personnel present on the spot thwarted his attempt.
He was then taken to Mayo General Hospital and later released, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter