Monorail to provide pollution-free travel, says MMRDA
Mumbai: The ambitious Monorail project of
the MMRDA, which aims at reducing the burden on other public
transportation networks, today said that it would provide
According to Mumbai Metropolitan Regional Development
Authority officials, the Monorail will not only save commuting
time of Mumbaikars but will also save fuel, thus providing
"Since the Monorail does not require any fossil fuel
for its operation it remains free of air pollution and as it
runs on a narrow 0.8-meter beam with the help of rubber tyres
it makes very little noise," MMRDA Commissioner, Ratnakar
Gaikwad, said in a statement.
The first phase of the Rs 2,460-crore Monorail
project, designed and built by Larsen & Toubro and SCOMI
Engineering of Malysia is likely to be completed by December
"It is also expected that it will reduce 5,000 BEST
bus trips and 10,000 taxi and auto-rickshaw trips during a
day, as one Monorail will carry about 550 commuters at a
time," Joint Metropolitan Commissioner Ashwini Bhide said.
The Monorail is expected to carry more than 2-lakh
commuters every day.
"Monorail uses regenerative braking which means when
the train brakes, it passes on the electric power back to the
system which can be used by other trains running on the system
at that time. This is about 25 per cent saving in power,"
The Monorail will act as a feeder to high capacity
Mass Rapid Transit Systems like suburban and metro services
and will add to the public transportation network in the city,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray