`Moral cop` Vasant Dhoble shifted to Mumbai crime branch
Mumbai: Assistant Commissioner of Police Vasant Dhoble, who had hit the headlines for his controversial crackdown against bars and restaurants in the city, was on Wednesday transferred to the crime branch of the Mumbai police.
"Dhoble, who was with the control room of late, has been brought to the crime branch," a senior police official said.
The ACP, who, armed with his trademark hockey stick, raided bars and restaurants which stayed open beyond the permissible time, had invited mixed reactions. The media berated Dhoble for his "high-handed" style and for curtailing the city`s night life but residents in the vicinity of bars and pubs welcomed his tough stand.
Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh, soon after taking over, had ordered Dhoble to report to the crime branch instead of the Commissioner directly.
Two women, detained by a police team led by Dhoble during a raid on restaurant for alleged human trafficking racket, had also dragged him to court, seeking compensation for alleged defamation. But the Bombay High Court refused to pass any directions against the police.
Recently the Crime Investigation Department (CID) of the Maharashtra police gave him a clean-chit in a case related to hawker`s death during eviction drive of police in Vakola area, which fell under his jurisdiction as ACP. The hawker died of heart attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof