More Mumbai doctors strike work demanding safety
Mumbai: Resident doctors of two other Mumbai hospitals on Friday joined their counterparts at Sion hospital who are on an indefinite strike to protest against the assault on their colleagues by a patient`s kin.
"Resident doctors of KEM and Nair Hospitals have also joined in the strike to support the doctor who was assaulted by a patient`s kin," said Pankaj Nalawade of the Maharashtra Association of Resident Doctors (MARD).
Angered by the death of their 10-month-old baby girl, relatives assaulted on-duty resident doctors at Sion hospital on Wednesday.
Vishnu Dhadwad, who was treating the patient, was locked in a room and beaten up. "Dr Vishnu, who is physically challenged, sustained bruises and a fractured right hand," said Yogesh Pawar of MARD from Sion Hospital.
"The doctors who tried to intervene were also beaten up," he added. "Relatives of patients beat up doctors every now and then. There is not enough security to protect the doctors. This has to stop."
Doctors also complained of repeated lapse in security provided to doctors outside each ward in these hospitals. "This is the ninth such incident this year," said Nalawade. "We keep voicing our concerns, but they fall on deaf ears."
Only resident doctors have struck work. "While we realise that other patients need to be attended to, we also want our concerns to be addressed," Dr Pawar said. "We are not only fighting for ourselves, but for the patients too."
Sadia Siddique, a 10-month-old baby girl, was brought to Sion Hospital Sunday for treatment of lower respiratory tract infection. According to the doctors, she had to be shifted to the paediatric intensive care unit as her condition deteriorated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi